Social Security Benefits

Social Security CardOnce arrangements have been made, the Next of Kin or appointed agent should contact the Social Security Administration (SSA). Be sure to have the deceased’s social security number available for contacting the office. The person responsible for the beneficiary’s affairs should promptly notify SSA toll-free at 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778).

Your Best Cremation Arrangement Counselor will notify them electronically that the death has occurred but you will need to contact them as well.

One-time Lump Sum Death Benefit

A one-time payment is payable to the surviving spouse if the deceased was living with the beneficiary at the time of death, or if living apart, was eligible for benefits on the beneficiary’s earnings record for the month of death. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who was eligible for benefits on the beneficiary’s earnings record in the month of death.

Social Security Benefits for Survivors

Monthly survivors benefits can be paid to certain family members, including the beneficiary’s widow or widower, dependent children, and dependent parents.


Who to Contact

Social Security Administration toll-free at 800-772-1213.

For additional information, visit the SSA Online site.